Sitecore SPEAK: How to add Applications to Sitecore 8 Launch Pad
Sitecore SPEAK's Launch pad existed within Sitecore 7.1/7.2/7.5 but has received a major overhaul in Sitecore 8. It has become a focal point welcoming users as they login to Sitecore.
Previously with Sitecore 7.x you could add shortcuts to the launch pad from within the Core database. This was done by adding application shortcut items containing the ID of the new Sitecore SPEAK application to the launch pad shortcuts folder. "/sitecore/client/Applications/Launch Pad/Page Settings/Shortcuts"
Sitecore 7.x SPEAK Shortcuts
With Sitecore 8, the configuration of Launch Pad shortcuts has changed. If you are installing existing Sitecore SPEAK modules built on Sitecore 7.x, then you will need to follow these steps to see the shortcuts in the new Launch Pad.
For Sitecore 8 these are the steps to add an application shortcut to the launch pad.
- Switch to the core DB in the desktop or use Sitecore rocks.
- Navigate to the following item "/sitecore/client/Applications/Launchpad/PageSettings/Buttons"
- Here you can create LaunchPad groups to contain your shortcuts.
LaunchPad Groups and Buttons
- Create a LaunchPad-button within your new group.
- Set the Icon, and Text of the shortcut as required. The link field needs to be set to the URL of your Sitecore SPEAK application (This is single link text field)
Sitecore SPEAK Application URL
- The Sitecore SPEAK application URL can be taken from the item path in your SPEAK Application item. E.g. "/sitecore/client/MikeRobbins/SitecoreDataImporter"
Sitecore SPEAK Application Item Path